Monday, January 26, 2009

week one: process and possibility

I started this week's readings with Within and Beyond the Writing Process in the Secondary English Classroom--it was hard to get through. While I found the information valuable and relevant, the narrative itself is sometimes dry and redundant. Most of all, I thought that Chapter 3: Teaching Writing as a Process, could have been a whole book in itself, there was so much information. Some things I did take away from the reading as a whole were that:
  • writing is thinking, and begins with meaning making
  • we learn to write by writing
  • writing is a socially constructed process
  • writing needs to be motivated from within, tapping into personal feelings, needs, experiences
  • the process of writing is important, and never complete
But then I picked up Tom Romano's Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers, and my discouragement disappeared. This book is inspiring. Right away I connected with the idea of multigenre papers on a personal level--I realized that they're something to which I'm naturally inclined (I wrote something similar in a creative nonfiction class in college)--but also as an educator, because of the wealth of possibility this format affords to students. I loved reading the various examples multigenre writing, understanding that it can be both creative and informative.

What Romano says about working with the narrative, rather than just the expository, side of life, is important. Students need to know how to craft story--"story" in its broadest sense--as much as they need to learn how to conduct research in a library. Maybe more. Thinking of differentiation, I can see how this kind of writing allows students to tap into their own styles of learning and work at their best levels. It's freeing and exhilarating. Why not incorporate art? Music? I know that I myself connect most to any subject when it's made personal, which is the point of this style of writing (and the powerful Whitman line). Of course very specific thinking on the part of the teacher is necessary in guiding and evaluating these projects--what understandings do the students need to demonstrate, etc. But this is so much more appealing to me than the 5-paragraph essay.

I wonder how important the idea of choice is here. For example, I'll be teaching Frankenstein during student teaching, and like the idea of incorporating multigenre writing into my unit--but is it real multigenre writing if it's still a literary criticism paper on a specific, teacher-chosen text? Can authentic multigenre writing only be accomplished within a separate unit, where students have complete autonomy, or could I use Frankenstein as a framework and let students go from there? I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing if the second-half of the text helps me answer this question.

LINK


www.twc.org
The Teachers & Writers Collaborative "promotes and provides literary arts education by supporting writers and teachers in developing and implementing strategies to enhance students' interest in and love of literature and writing." The resources tab has techniques, discussions, a newsletter, and other links--all very helpful for teachers of writing.

5 comments:

  1. Hehe, I feel the same way about Within and Beyond the Writing Process in the Secondary English Classroom. I feel as though this book and the UBD book share the commonality of being frequently dry, 1000 words to a page, and rather redundant.

    But... I found the focus on the writing workshop and writing conferencing/consulting to be extremely helpful.

    Because I teach face-to-face in individual writing conferences/consultations, I was pretty sucked into this party of the chapter, regardless of my gripes with the book. We have talked throughout this entire program about the diversity of our students in terms of their cultures, backgrounds, experiences, and whatever else you can think of. Although we will be exposed to this diversity all day, every day, I promise you that it will be during this short bursts of face-to-face, individualized interaction as afforded by the writing workshop that this level of diversity will be the most intense. When you truly an literally sit next to a student and get eye-to-eye with them, I can't see how it would be anything like addressing them in front of the entire class. Talk about differentiation. To be an effective face-to-face conferencers, we will have to become experts at who are students are as individuals, in the most individual sense of the word, to be effective writing mentors. Playful nudges that work with one student, might not work at all with another. A more directive approach that is wonderful with another student might work terribly with another.

    I'm sorry, I ramble, it's getting late. But in short, I feel as though it are these face-to-face, individualized experiences that will truly give us a glimpse of all of our students as true individuals, apart from the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ask really important questions about multigenre writing, Kristin -- ones we'll take up in class too. The narrative way of thinking is crucial, I believe, but is it not possible in expository writing? Is there a way that they might actually go together? Those aren't for you to answer. Just some questions generated by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin,

    I hope you are ambitious enough to try a multigenre literary criticism paper of Frankenstein during your student teaching, if only because I'd love to hear about what comes out of students! It could be a great way to get students to express their preconceived notions of the Frankenstein story (whatever it is they've gleaned from pop culture) and comparing it to the actual narrative. It would be a great "theme" paper, a great way to look at one of Frankenstein's themes from many angles.

    I, too, am really drawn to the idea of the multigenre paper, but right now I'm stuck imagining it as a fun, creative writing project. I hope we discuss in class the more "academic" (probably not the right word) permutations of the multigenre paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I subconsciously know that your blog is titled paper and pencil when I named mine pen and paper??? WEIRD!

    ReplyDelete